According to Pierpass, "The West Coast MTO Agreement (WCMTOA) announced that the Traffic Mitigation Fee (TMF) at the Ports of Los Angeles and Long Beach will be temporarily adjusted from [postponed from December 1, 2021, through January 31, 2022 to January 10, 2022 to January 31, 2022], subject to regulatory clearance by the Federal Maritime Commission. During this period, there will be a financial incentive to move containers during off-peak hours by charging a TMF during peak hours. Today’s announcement makes no changes to the appointment systems operated by individual terminals."
This comes in "a collaborative effort to incentivize increased use of marine terminals gates during off-peak hours to expand use of warehouses, DCs, and trucking" during push for the holiday and Lunar New Year season.
January 10, 2022- January 31, 2022
- TMF $78.23 per TEU (20ft unit) or $156.46 for all other sizes of container
- Moves through the terminals between 7:00 a.m. and 5:59 p.m. Monday-Friday
- Exempt containers include:
- Empty containers
- Import cargo or export cargo that transits the Alameda Corridor in a container and is subject to a fee imposed by the Alameda Corridor Transportation Authority
- Loaded container moves through the terminals from 6:00 p.m. through 6:59 a.m. Monday through Saturday and all day (24 hours) on Saturdays, Sundays, and holidays.
- Empty chassis and bobtail trucks